Is There a Best Way to Get Rid of Fire Odor in your Minneapolis home?
Count on SERVPRO to Keep Up with Deodorization Breakthroughs for Our Minneapolis Neighbors
The terror and disruption of a kitchen fire are overwhelming. Getting your family to a safe place is the highest priority. Once all are accounted for, then it is time to reach out to our professional fire restoration team to work together on recovery.
Why Should You Avoid Fire and Odor Cleanup Without Expert Help?
The fire and odor damage experienced by Minneapolis homeowners, like yourself, is unlike typical dirt, grime, and smells. Clearing away charred debris and cleaning soot from surfaces usually is not recommended as a DIY project because:
• Structural components like ceilings, walls, and floors need professional assessment as they might be unstable
• Significant quantities of water and extinguishing chemicals nearly always need removal first, needing expert extraction
• Debris and residues can be highly toxic, requiring personal protective equipment (PPE) to manage
• Effective soot cleanup methods and products vary depending on the materials burned and surfaces affected, with training supporting appropriate matching of cleanup strategies
• Deodorization methods frequently need specialized products and unique equipment
What Makes a Kitchen Fire Smell So Bad?
When a fire starts in the kitchen, SERVPRO finds that foodstuffs, oils, and greases are the ignition fuel. High levels of fats and protein create an oily mist that covers everything. The heat produced causes the oils and grease to melt and dehydrate. They become rancid, creating a rotten stench clinging to appliances, cabinets, walls, and ceilings, air currents carrying the odor far from the kitchen as well.
How Do Technicians Remove the Smelly Protein-Based Residue?
SERVPRO technicians learn that “like dissolves like” when choosing products to break down fire residues. Because residues of a kitchen fire are oily, we turn to solvents to break the bonds between the soot and the surface.
What If Cleaning Alone Is Not Enough to Get Rid of the Smell?
The challenges of eliminating protein-based soot odors are many. In cases where deep cleaning still leaves a noticeable nasty smell, SERVPRO considers using the following options:
Deodorizers are combusted into a fine mist, paring with soot particles to neutralize the odor
Hydroxyl radicals destroy the molecular structure of odors
Airtight products applied to surfaces, preventing the odor molecules from vaporizing
Rely on the crew at SERVPRO of Minnetonka to deliver fire residue cleanup and odor removal. Call (952) 473-4837 to schedule an assessment.
For more about Minneapolis click here.