What Is Black Mold?
You may have seen news stories and reports that warn about the dangers of “black mold” or “toxic mold”. The headlines can be both scary and confusing so make sure you get the correct facts so that you can make the correct decisions about any kind of mold remediation that may be needed for you home.
The owner of SERVPRO of Minnetonka, Scott Clemente is a licensed CE Instructor for the State of Minnesota and has taught classes on mold mitigation and clean up. As he speaks about in his classes, there are risks associated with mold in a home and mold issues must be addressed but it is important to not get caught up in mold "hysteria" and instead make decisions based on facts.
Black often mold refers to Stachybotrys chartarum, and it does produce allergens and irritants. However, many types of mold can produce allergens and irritants.
We recommend that our customers treat any mold with caution – stay out of affected areas and don’t touch or disturb the mold. Call us and we can answer questions or send one of our certified Applied Microbial Remediation Technicians to your home or business for an evaluation and inspection to help give you guidance on the best course of action.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Minnetonka immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (952) 473-4837
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Minnetonka is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
SERVPRO of Minnetonka proudly serves Minnetonka, Groveland , and surrounding areas.