Frozen Pipes in Minnetonka and Hopkins
Water has a unique property in that it expands when it freezes and no matter how strong the “container” is holding it in, this expansion will eventually cause the container to break. Here in Minnesota, pipes are even more susceptible to freezing due to the extreme temperatures we can experience.
Here are some helpful hints to help prevent your pipes from freezing:
- Close inside valves that feed outside hose bibs
- Keep garage doors closed
- If you are going away for the season, don’t lower your thermostat to below
If your pipes do freeze, here are some steps you can take to limit damage:
- If you turn on a faucet and only a small bit of water comes out, you may have a frozen pipe
- The most likely locations for a frozen pipe are in exterior walls or where the water comes into the home
- As you attempt to thaw the pipe, keep the faucet open so that the water can run though it
- You can apply heat to the pipe using an electric heating pad or a hair dryer. Do not use a blow torch!
If all that fails and your frozen pipe bursts, give us a call. Even in the cold Minnetonka and Hopkins winters, one of our certified technicians will be at your doorstep within four hours ready to help! You can read more about our water removal services here: SERVPRO Minnetonka Water Restoration